Sunday, April 4, 2010

Rigatoni


This is the first Easter that I can remember spending without my family (as in my Mom, Dad, Brother, and Sister). This is also the first non-traditional Easter meal that we've had as a family. My mother-in-law came to visit for the weekend. My brother went riding on his motorcycle. My parents went riding on their trike. My sister, her hubby, and three girls went to Sunrise Service at their church, breakfast with his family, and then a quick visit with our folks before they went on their ride.
I stayed up late last night making muffins for breakfast at our church. Then had church services. We invited some friends and they came. Then we came home and took some pictures and put Rigatoni in the oven (I had pre-made the basics and put it in the fridge, to it just had to heat up). This is a favorite family recipe that my mother-in-law passed on to me when Thomas and I were engaged. I have altered it just a bit, but the taste still remains true.
Here's the recipe:
1 box Rigatoni noodles
2-26 oz jars of spaghetti sauce (We like traditional, but any kind will do.)
1 beer (I buy this specially for Rigatoni, because I just don't drink it. You can omit it, but I've come to like the unique flavor that it gives the dish.)
2 to 3 cups of Colby cheese
2 to 3 cups of Mozzarella cheese
Parmesan, if desired (I haven't added that in about 10 years or more)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cook Rigatoni noodles to the minimum time on the box, drain.
Use a 13 x 9 inch pan.
Pour in 1 jar of sauce and add 1/4 to 1/2 of the bottle or can of beer.
Layer 1/2 of the rigatoni noodles and 1/2 of the cheeses.
Then add the next 1/2 of rigatoni noodles on to of the first cheeses, top with the 2nd bottle of sauce and the other half of the cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes.
I love to make an extra in an aluminum pan and freeze for another day. This is such a simple dish, but so yummy and filling. The whole family likes Rigatoni! We like to have Rigatoni with garlic bread and salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment