Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Thoughts on the Presidency and Vows

I've been alive for six presidents now, counting the one sworn in today. I have voted in four elections (ever since I was old enough to vote). I've voted, and my candidate has won. I've also voted, and my candidate has lost.

Since this year was an election year, we've studied the Presidents in our home school. I've learned more about the Presidents of the United States this year by teaching my children, than I ever forgot from my own education in the public school. We started with The President's Rap, from The Essential Raps by Ron Clark, which is a rap song that teaches the presidents from 1 to 43 with added Presidential Facts! Did you know that President William Harrison (#9) only served 30 days? So, after we all had the Presidents memorized in order, we began to study about each one. We're currently on #6, John Quincy Adams. Did you know that Quincy is actually supposed to be pronounced Quin-zee, not Quin-see? Oh, the things I've learned!

Not to mention all the things of learned about the hearts and minds of our fore fathers. I completely agree with President Washington that political parties only cause discord. He was so right to stand his ground and not join a party. I have never joined one myself, and will continue to vote for who I believe is the best person for the job.

I now have a great understanding of patriotism and the heart of this great country of ours. I did not vote for our current President Obama, but I found myself in tears watching the ceremony today on television. I can only compare this to how people cry at weddings. Once you understand what those vows mean, I can't help but be brought to tears (at least the brink of them) at a wedding ceremony. The same happened with the oath of office, other speeches and prayers today. I hope and pray the President Obama means and understands every word he pledged.

My husband and I are doing the Fireproof study for couples (based on the movie Fireproof). If you haven't seen Fireproof, it comes out on DVD January 27th. I will be buying it, but I encourage everyone to see it...rent it a Redbox (probably you should reserve it), or just buy it. The movie is wonderful! The part of the study we just completed was on marriage vows. The information talked about covenants, and what marriage vows really mean. They are not temporary, or reliant on what your spouse does for you. When a person makes a vow, that vow is 100% on them, no matter what the other person does. My kindergarten teacher, Mrs. McVey, taught us that "You are responsible for your own actions." She was one smart lady. I didn't understand for the first five or six years of marriage that my contentment and responsibilities to my vows were not contingent upon how I thought my husband was holding up his vows. Thank God, He showed me the light!

I also thank God that we live in the United States of America. President Obama is not a dictator, he is a leader. We have checks and balances. We have three branches of government. We have the right to vote.

"When you make a vow to God, do not delay in fulfilling it.
He has no pleasure in fools; fulfill your vow.
It is better not to vow than to make a vow and not fulfill it."
Ecclesiastes 4-5 NIV

1 comment:

  1. Hey there! I love the "baby steps" post...that's how I began...a way to journal my thoughts in the hopes that someday great great grandchildren would have a glimpse into who I was and what I believed...(besides I don't like having my pic taken...so words will have to do!LOL!

    My kids know that Prez rap too! funny! We watched the inauguration today and my just 9 year old ran upstairs...got his suit jacket, glasses, black shoes,blue pants, bluetooth from dad's phone and came down and stood by the t.v. pretending to be Secret Service! :)

    It's amazing the things we 'relearn' or learn for the first time homeschooling, huh???

    Enjoyed the visit!!:)

    ReplyDelete