Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Cheesy Hashbrown Potatoes

This is my son's absolute favorite dish.  I believe this particular one is missing the extra cheese on top.  But, it basically looks right.  This is one of the dishes that I usually try to make one and free one.  I buy enough ingredients to make two, instead of just one, and the second one goes in the foil pan that you see there (this is a double from Thanksgiving... didn't last long in the freezer before Wyatt requested to eat it).

To cook the frozen one, I have to either add time to cooking, or thaw out in the freezer the day before we want to eat it.

Ingredients (for one dish... double if you want to make a spare):
1 lb 14 oz Country Style Hash Browns
1 can cream of mushroom soup (or cream of chicken... we like mushroom... you can also substitute extra sour cream in a pinch)
"medium" container of sour cream (I use about the same amount of sour cream as mushroom soup)
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (save about 1/2 cup for the top)
1/4 cup butter-melted
original blend Mrs. Dash-be generous with this seasoning
salt and pepper (optional... I don't use it anymore)

Oven Directions:
Thaw hash browns.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix all ingredients together.
I usually mix all ingredients, minus hash browns, in the dish I'll be cooking in:  a 9 x 13 inch pan.
Then I add the hash browns gradually and mix thoroughly. 
Next add the saved portion of cheese (you can add a little extra if you have it, and you are cheese lovers like us).
Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes.

Crockpot Directions:
You can also make this in the crockpot.  I think it's just as yummy that way, though Wyatt disagrees with me.
If making in the crockpot, spray your crock with cooking spray, then follow directions to mix together.  You won't need any foil.  The bigger the crockpot, the more like the baked dish this will be.  I used a large oval crockpot to make mine (sorry, I don't have any pictures of the crockpot dish).  Cover with lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.  The cheese on top should be melty when done, and hopefully the top edges are brown and crispy.

No comments:

Post a Comment