Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Lamb

When I was finishing up the post on Picture of Christ, I was thinking about something else that I didn't really understand when I was growing up. I grew up in the church, in a Christian family, reading and learning about the Bible. Something that I think is very important that I didn't really get put together, until I was an adult, relates to this part of the song Crucified, which I quoted from Christafari (okay, maybe not so much relates, but it made me think about this):

I do not set aside the grace of God (can't you see?)
For if gained through the law righteousness could be-
then Jesus Christ He died for nothing.
So the song says that if righteousness could be obtained through following rules, then Jesus died for no reason. I understood that being good, making sacrifices, or following Old Testament Rules would not get me into heaven. I knew that only faith in Jesus Christ could write my name in the Book of Life. I understood that Jesus was the Lamb of God, the ultimate sacrifice. What I did not understand was how the Old Testament men were also saved by faith. Like when Abraham was told by God to sacrifice his only son, Issac, the son he'd been promised; he was going to sacrifice Issac, because of his great faith in God. What a great picture of what was to come. I also now understand that the lambs that were sacrificed for sins represented God's Lamb, who would be the final sacrifice for ALL sins. I just love that I finally have all those puzzle pieces in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment