Friday, October 1, 2010

Farewell to Summer... and Spring

I haven't written much this summer. Feels like we've been sick the whole time. I know it wasn't, but then it almost was. I was sick for almost two weeks (not bed ridden the whole time, but kind of crummy feeling. Then Ellie was sick. Then Thomas was sick, and Wyatt got sick while Thomas was sick. Everyone ran a fever, except for Ellie. And everyone was crummy feeling for over a week.... So there went our summer.  Needless to say, I have not accomplished what I planned to accomplish this summer.

I feel like I'm moving in slow motion. Although anyone who looks at my calendar would say I'm overbooked and that's why I can't get anything done. Nah, if everyone would stay well and the family would stay on top of their chores (or rather get back to them, after being sick), then I think we'd be in pretty good shape.

So, as all our regular "school year" activities are beginning again, I'll bid our "summer" farewell and not dwell on that which was missed.  I haven't written much over the end of Spring and most of Summer, so this will be a re-cap.

In May, the kids and I reenacted at the Civil War Kids Days.





Also in May, the kids finished their first year in AWANA. Ellie completed her first Truth and Training Book and Wyatt completed two Sparkys books. Their Bible memory has inspired me, and helping them memorize their verses is helping me to hide God's word in my heart, too.

In June, Ellie became a member of the Sonshine Girls, a new, local, Christian Girls Club. They have  monthly meetings.  They have pins with beads that they earn for learning things like cake decorating, horses, etiquette, and more.  They do community service, camping, and have a mother-daughter-grandmother tea party planned.  Each month they memorize a new Bible verse and earn beads for that, too.  Here's Ellie with her cake:




On our anniversary we saw the Bellamy Brothers in concert as a family.  The kids fell asleep on the way there.
Aw!  My cute little babies.

Gimme a Redneck Girl...


Thomas and I went to see the Bryan Brother's play World Team Tennis for our 11th Anniversary date. Thomas played in multiple tournaments and came home with "hardware" from each one. Also in July, the kids participated in Cow Appreciation Day at Chik-Fil-A.  I made their costumes.








What we did do was Summer Reading Programs at both our county and the county north of us. Which kept us hopping with cool programs at the library, book checkouts, and lots of reading.  It's not often you get to see a lion cub at the library.  This baby had the most beautiful blue eyes!



Our church did a Vacation Bible School on Sundays during Sunday School and Worship Service. I helped out at the registration table each week (except when the boys were both sick one weekend) and met a lot of new people who came to church. Our family did cookie deliveries for the church for second time visitors; we had a lot of fun meeting new people and families that way, too.

We had dinner with friends quite a few times.

The kids and I went to see Annie, the musical, with my sister and her oldest daughter. Our friends from church were in the musical, and my sister's step-niece was also in the show.

We celebrated our extended family's birthdays and anniversaries.

My friend, Colleen, and I got geared up for the Homeschool Support Group that we started. Our first meeting was in August, and we now have seventeen families! Which I think is an amazing start for a new group.  Next month I'm going to speak on Homeschooling on a Budget.

We sold our old red 1988 suburban.  Bye, bye Old Red (formerly Big Red).  Then we bought a newer Chevy pickup.

From April to August Ellie lost her 9th, 10th and 11th teeth.

My sister cut Ellie's hair and my hair.  Here are some before and after pictures:


Lighting was not so good, but I love that smile!

Aunt Sarah with the scissors!

She really likes her hair short...  she cuts it like this every time it gets past her shoulders, but then she decides she needs to grow it out again.

This picture makes me miss my long hair!

This is why I  have forehead wrinkles.  Why must I do that?

This is just funny.  Seriously, I have to do something about that chin.  I'm thinking that creepy  5 or 10 lbs needs to creep away again... no, I know, I need to get around to adding PE back to the school schedule and work on my ice cream and chocolate addictions.

We put siding on the house.  Thomas and his friend built us a new deck!  After 10 years of living here, we finally have a deck that is level with my patio door.  Hurray! I'm still painting the basement....and the foundation.  Thomas is getting ready to stain and waterproof the deck.

I finally made plum preserves.  Although, I wound up throwing some of the plums out.  I should have gotten around to it sooner, or frozen them. 

This month I got a  new-to-me SUV, a GMC Envoy.  It's really fun, because I haven't got to pick out a vehicle since I was 15 and got my S10 Blazer.  I'll be really glad to have a 4-wheel drive this winter again.  We won't have to share the old suburban in the winter anymore.

I went with the Sonshine Girls on their camping trip last weekend.  I slept in a tent for the first time in MANY years.  When I got home, I had to use liniment on my neck and shoulders.  Ellie and I, and all the group, except for the leaders two girls, went geocaching for the first time.  It's kind of a treasure hunt with clues from a GPS download.  We found two out three of the geocaches.  

While we were gone, the boys (Thomas and Wyatt) bought a picnic table for me!  Yea!  I have wanted one for a long time.  My Dad and Mom put the table together (mostly Dad, says Mom) while they were here with the kids yesterday.

I know I'm about a week late, but WELCOME AUTUMN!


No comments:

Post a Comment