Monday, December 19, 2011

My Favorite Homemade Taco Seasoning

My scribbled recipe card says I got this recipe from allrecipes.com, but I'm not sure I could find the exact one again.  We had a family over from our old church that has a son with a gluten allergy.  I never thought about that being an issue with taco seasoning, but his mother mentioned it.  I looked at the packages in the store and was surprised at the ingredients.  I have become a label reader and had narrowed down my pick of seasoning to one, but that one appeared to have gluten ingredients...and I had wanted to start making my own seasoning anyway, so this seemed like a good time to try it out.  I actually tried three different recipes.  My family deemed this one the winner:

1 Tbl chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flacks (original recipe says OR 1/8 tsp cayenne)
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin (original recipe says 1 & 1/2 tsp OR 1tsp)
1 tsp sea salt (I usually leave this out...buy I have some Himalayan sea salt I might try now)
1 tsp black pepper

I watched a vlog on the Grocery Shrink one day about how she does a little assembly line of her mixes and she inspired me to do the same.  So, I pull out my snack size baggies, all the seasonings and appropriate measuring utensils, and package up a bunch of these at once.  I store them a tin, ready for use!  I use one package per one pound of meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment