Friday, July 22, 2011

The Great American Drive-In Movie Theater

One of my favorite things about summer is that the Drive-In Movie Theaters are open.  I remember my very first drive-in.  I saw the movie Annie, here in the very town where I currently live.  That drive in is now built over with town homes.

Luckily, as I was lamenting the lose of drive-in's in college, a co-worker told me there was still a drive in near where she lived!  I got to take my hubby to his very first drive-in movie!

Then we found out there were actually two drive-in theaters somewhat near us.  We've been going ever since.

Drive-in theater theaters are my favorite, for many reasons:
Where we live, anyway, there is always a double feature (Friday and Saturday night are triple feature!.. if you can stay up that long.)
Kids age 12 and under are still FREE!
We get to load up our own snacks... popcorn, popsicles, chocolate... all the good stuff.
The pickup bed is pretty comfy, better than a lot of movie theater seats.
I enjoy watching the movie outdoors.

The downfall to the Drive-in theater is trying to find two good movies playing together.
We have done well so far.  In June, we saw Kung Fu Panda 2 and Rio.
In July we saw Cars 2 and Kung Fu Panda 2... but we left before Kung Fu Panda 2 was over.  We liked the movie, but Thomas thought we were all falling asleep.  I was just trying to get comfortable, because I forgot extra pillows... again!  And Mommy is always the one who goes without.
Wyatt with our Burts Bees Bug Spray.

Ellie with our Ghiradelli Vanilla White Chocolate.

Daddy with popcorn, Wyatt with the popcorn and bug spray, Ellie still with chocolate.

Me, being dramatic, because I had to set up the pick up bed for everyone.

My "Hurray! We're at the Drive-in."

Look to the right and you can see the old speakers hanging on the pick bed side.
The family looks comfy!



Should always carry a tripod.... ha, ha!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize there were any drive ins anymore. And I have to put out our real beds every evening and or course put them away every morning.

    ReplyDelete