Saturday, July 23, 2011

Homemade Snow Cone Syrup

I've seen this simple homemade snow cone recipe on several sites, but I believe the spot I originally found the recipe was the Hillbilly Housewife newsletter.  The formula is so simple, even Ellie and Wyatt have the ingredients memorized.

Homemade Snow Cone Syrup


2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1 package unsweetened Kool-Aid (or other drink mix)

Mix all ingredients together in a saucepan and boil, stirring almost constantly to make a syrup.
Then let cool and pour into your squirt container.

So easy!  I love that we don't have to have high fructose corn syrup in our snow cones.  Now I'd love to find a recipe that doesn't have any artificial flavor.  I have an idea to substitute the Kool-Aid and water for a cup of lemon juice... I think that would make All Natural Lemonade Snow Cone Syrup, but I haven't tried that yet.

We have a huge supply of Kool-Aid, because I used to buy the packages whenever they were on sale.  Even though the kids have been making at least two batches of syrup every week, we are no where near running out of Kool-Aid packets.

I don't make Kool-Aid very often anymore, because of the artificial flavor and coloring.  I especially like the Invisible Kool-Aid for the non-staining properties and lack of artificial color.  I grew up on Kool-Aid.  My "oldest" friend (because we've been friends since we were toddlers, ages 2 and 3... I'm the older one) lived right across the road. Her house smelled like Kool-Aid every time you walked in.  Her mom would never put a whole cup of sugar in, so whenever she left the kitchen, us kids (the two of us and our little brothers) would grab the sugar canister and add some more!

No comments:

Post a Comment